Wednesday, May 13, 2009

13th Thought

The article I will be discussing, from the Jerusalem Post:
Here

This article is about David Ben-Gurion's blog.

Ilan Ben-Yaacov is the ghost writer, who uses the Ben-Gurion Heritage Institute's online archive of the Prime Minister's letters and thoughts. Ben-Yaacov said, "He is a modern thinker, and I think he designed many of the values and things we believe in today in the Israeli state." The blog has a twofold purpose: to give the audience a better understanding of Ben-Gurion, and to use his ideas to comment on modern events. For instance, a letter he wrote about polio is used to discuss current media coverage of the swine flu.

There were concerns that the project could be construed as disrespectful. The article notes, "
"When I suggested the blog, Edna was afraid about the conservatives saying it's rude and it's not appropriate for his memory," Ben-Yaacov recalled. "I think we've done it right. We don't want to hurt his heritage; we want to spread it out."" I see also the potential problem of putting words into his mouth; he can't exactly protest how the discussions are framed, after all. But I think Ben-Yaacov's point is a good one. The blog will surely introduce many young google-searchers, Israeli or no, to his writings and ideas.

The internet is a powerful new media. We've seen in these travels through Israeli news how it can be used to spread anti-Semitism, yet also providing a new way for Jews to connect and discuss their lives. I think this blog idea is a fascinating one. It definitely appeals to my age-group as an audience; as Ben-Yaacov notes,
"The dream I have is that everyone who will search google for terms like leadership, Israel, Zionism or Negev and other subjects will get to the blog and find that Ben-Gurion had something to say about things happening right now." I've learned about Ben-Gurion through this course, but there's a lot more to find out about, and I think this blog is a good way of doing so. The project is an encouraging one, both for Israeli history, and as a fun idea for other historical figures!

His blog can be read here. I plan to do so in the future.

1 comment:

  1. hi Anna!
    thanks for the lovely things you wrote.
    I really hope you'll find Ben-Gurion's blog interesting and worth visiting in the future, and we'll be more than happy to hear your comments.

    ReplyDelete