Wednesday, May 13, 2009

10th Thought

The article I will be discussing, from the Jerusalem Post:
Here

I proudly voted for Obama in my first ever Presidential election. So far I haven't been disappointed. I was thus delighted by the article, which described Pres. Obama's decision to declare May Jewish American Heritage Month. How exciting! Next May will be the first with our imminent baby, I'll have to think of activities to plan around this idea. (Okay, maybe not next May when he's still learning to crawl, but soon.)

Jewish American history is a really fascinating topic, given how the country offered more freedom and opportunities than most others. Obama detailed this history in his proclamation, citing the specific contributions American Jews have made. What I found most interesting was this statement:

"Among the greatest contributions of the Jewish American community, however, is the example they have set for all Americans. They have demonstrated that Americans can choose to maintain cultural traditions while honoring the principles and beliefs that bind them together as Americans. Jewish American history demonstrates how America's diversity enriches and strengthens us all. "

I think this is such an important idea. On the one hand, we are called to participate in our day and age, changing our views based on new evidence and new freedoms. On the other hand, we are called to participate in the walk of our ancestors, based on tradition and study. The balance between being a Jew and being a person out in a secular country can be a dificult one; I'm not always sure I do it right. (I'll be driving all over town this Sabbath because that's the day we graduate, but in modest dress.) The important thing is too keep striving to that goal.

I also liked his comment on diversity. It's a powerful thing to have a black President (with a kippot on!), and I hope it heralds the coming of the day when everyone is equally free to fully participate in all ways of life. Perhaps the mesmerizing diversity within Jewish culture, coexisting peacefully with a recognition of community, is one way we can be a light to the nations.

No comments:

Post a Comment